September 19 was a Wednesday out of the norm for the National Association of Heavy Equipment Training Schools (NAHETS). Tom Dobson, worldwide construction training manager for Trimble, Inc., visited NAHETS headquarters in Henderson, Nevada. The purpose of his visit was to explore a joint venture between NAHETS member schools and Trimble, Inc.—i.e., to provide customer training for the full range of Trimble construction-related products.
Mike Martens, Director of Operations at NAHETS, conducted the visit with Dobson. Martens provided an overview of NAHETS as they toured the corporate offices in Henderson, Nevada, after which they traveled to the site of NAHETS member institution, the Nevada School of Construction (NVSC), located in Las Vegas. While at the NVSC, Dobson visited with NAHETS Executive Director, Matt Klabacka. As the two discussed different matters, Klabacka stressed the importance of NAHETS’ standards and safety in its training programs and facilities.
After the cordial visit, Tom returned to the NAHETS headquarters, where he reviewed the latest in Yellow Metal Boot Camp Training series with Rhet Nielson, NAHETS Creative Director.
Regarding his entire visit, Martens stated, “Tom was impressed with the physical size and layout of the NVSC training site . . . the quality of the classroom instruction, and the overall professionalism of the NVSC staff.”
Additional meetings with the Trimble corporate staff have been scheduled for October, including a presentation by NAHETS to Trimble corporate in Westminster, CO. In addition, NAHETS has been invited to participate in Trimble Dimensions 2007—an international training conference—to be held in Las Vegas, Nevada, this coming November.
Dobson stated that NAHETS’ emphasis on standards and safety is a key factor in any affiliation that may exist between Trimble, Inc. and NAHETS. Below is a summary of certain standards strictly observed by all NAHETS member schools and colleges:
- Full time campus director or college president
- Full time on site campus job placement director
- Full time on site campus financial aid director
- Full time on site campus admissions director
- Full time on site Heavy equipment training director
- Full time Certified heavy equipment training instructors
- Minimum of 12 equipment models:
4. crane (30 ton rough terrain)
5. dump truck
7. forklift, rough terrain
8. motor grader
11. tractor gannon box
12. wheel loader
- 20 acre minimum heavy equipment training area
- 3-4 classrooms dedicated to training heavy equipment operators
- No other business conducted at training site
- Clean administrative facilities.