Help is on the way for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, but not in its usual form. This time “help” is the “JCB High Mobility Engineer Excavator (HMEE),” a.k.a. the “world’s fastest backhoe loader.” I like to think of it as the “Batmobile of Heavy Equipment.” Its speed, mobility, and design will improve the capabilities of field commanders in front patrols. See batmobile of heavy equipment for the original article. See website directly below for video and other multi-media HMEE resources.
A few highlights of the article:
- The HMEE travels up to 60 mph on paved roads and cross country surfaces
- Full suspension and ABS brakes
- Computer diagnostics
- Run-flat tires and roll-over protection
- 17.55 tons with armor and 15.75 tons without armor
- 6.7-liter diesel
- Lifts 2.2 tons, digs 13 ft deep
- Provide battlefield commanders more capabilities in front patrols
- Increase Mobility and counter-mobility
- Provide water and supplies, build burms, lay electrical lines, etc.
JCB Construction Equipment is the creator of the HMEE. It was 4 years in the making and built specifically for the U.S. Military. JCB is the world’s largest privately owned construction business.
Here is a brief video about some other JCB military equipment.